Non-profit non-governmental organization Publishers’ Forum was founded in 1995. Its aim was to involve all interested people in development of the Ukrainian Book Publishing, popularization of Ukrainian books and reading, increasing cultural and educational level of Ukrainians. Non-governmental organization deals with project implementations, organization and arrangement of exhibitions, festivals, presentations, conferences and other events to favor educational and cultural progress, including such spheres as literature, book publishing, and library.
Key events organized by NGO Publishers’ Forum:
- International Book Publishers’ Forum in Lviv has been organized annually since 1994 and it has been considered the major intellectual and cultural event of the year. According to the President’s decree it was granted a status of national event. Within 1994-2012 there were more than 600 000 visitors, 2535 events were held, more than 4800 publications were found in mass media. The main events: Book Fair (since 1994); All-Ukrainian contest The Best Book of the Forum (since 1994); Library Forum (since 2010) targeted at library development and their transformation into cultural and informational centres.
- Lviv International Literary Festival has taken place annually, since 1997, since 2001 with foreigners participation, since 2006 – as a full scale International Literary Festival within the framework of Publishers’ Forum in Lviv. It is Ukraine’s largest and the only one literary festival, one of the most popular festivals in Central and Eastern Europe. The most brilliant representatives of their national literatures were invited to participate – writers, poets, artists, cultural activists, scientists, journalists, translators, literary critics from all over Ukraine and other countries.
- Reading Children’s Competition The Best Ukrainian Reader has been open to public every year since 2002, since 2005 it has changed into All-Ukrainian competition The Best Ukrainian Reader.Nearly 467 000 pupils from all Ukrainian regions participated in the competition. The competition took place in 370 regions, 141 cities, more than 8600 schools and in 880 children’s libraries.
- Reading Children’s Festival Book Mania has been organized since 2002 as a final stage of the Reading Children’s Competition, since 2005 as an All-Ukrainian competition The Best Ukrainian Reader , in which 523 winners from all Ukrainian regions, Crimea, Lviv, Kyiv and Sevastopol took part. The program included solemn ceremony on awarding winners, meetings with Lviv book enthusiasts, children’s writers, literary quest, discussions, workshops, book competitions and entertainments.
- Promotion of Ukrainian Literature on the different international book fairs: Vilnius, Warsaw, Frankfurt, Leipzig, Pisa.